Super Moist Carrot Cake : – Modified By Fiona Lau
Recipe was adapted from JoyOfBaking
- 150 gm walnuts ( Toast the walnuts for about 8 minutes)
- 400 gm raw carrots (finely grated)
- 270 gm all-purpose flour ( I prefer Blue Jacket APF )
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Spekkoek ( lapis Spices )
- 1/2 Nutmeg Powder
- 6 large eggs
- 320gm sugar
- 350 ml sun flower, vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
- 3 tsp pure vanilla bean paste
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 60 gm unsalted butter ( room temperature )
- 220 gm cream cheese ( room temperature )
- 40 gm Crisco AKA shortening
- 230 gm confectioners sugar AKA icing sugar ( sifted )
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place rack in center of oven. Butter one of 9 x 3 inch cake pan and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
- Toast the walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon, Spekkoek and Nutmeg Powde.
- In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick . (about 3 – 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla bean paste. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Pour batter in to the prepared pan and bake 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
- place one cake layer onto your serving plate. Spread with about half the frosting. Gently place the other cake onto the frosting and spread the rest of the frosting over the top of the cake. If desired, garnish with toasted nuts on the top of the cake. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
- Serves 10 – 12.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, just until blended with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.