Pak Tong Koh (White Sugar Sponge)
170g sieved rice flour
130 – 150g castor sugar
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp warm water
1. Mix (B) and leave aside for 10 minutes for use later.
2. Mix (A) together with a whisk and cook over low heat stirring all the time till a little thicken (this process should not be more than 5 minutes otherwise the mixture will have sago pearls forming). Sieve this mixture into a big mixing bowl and cooled it in a basin of water. Make sure it’s cooled till luke warm.
3. Mix (1) and (2) together and blend well. Cover the mixture with glad wrap and prove in a warm place for 1 – 2 hours. When the mixture show signs of bubbles all over the surface then it is ready for steaming.
4. Pour the ready batter into a 19.5cm x 19.5 cm greased pan and steam on high heat for 20 -25 minutes.
5. Cut into serving pieces when cool.